You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Friday, May 15, 2009

I am "okay"

I am liking being an "okay" mom. I feel like a bit of the pressure is off. Which is silly because all the pressure to be a "good" mom comes from me. But the idea that I don't have to be a prefect mom or a competent mom all the time has really let me relax today. It helped me to take the shrieking and not listening and peeing behind the chair and spilt milk all in stride. I might have even seen some of the humour in it all today.

I have a feeling that this state of zenness (can we pretend that is a word) won't last. Feel free to remind me if it doesn't.

The kids are also "okay" today. The boy, while not actually crawling, is still moving himself around quite easily. This involves a lot of pulling himself forward with his arms or pushing himself backwards. He can now go from his tummy to sitting and back down again and has discovered the joy of pulling himself up on anything that is heavy enough to support his weight. While excited to see him reach this new milestone, I am a little bummed that it means I am going to have to vacuum a lot more than I usually do. A lot more. He already found two dried blueberries (they came that way, it wasn't that they had been on the carpet for so long that they dried out) and put them in his mouth. Getting them out was a bit of an experience in how strong his jaw actually is.

The girl was very lovely today. She actually had a nap for the first time in a week and a half so I would pretty much forgive her anything! But she also had lots of kind words for me. "I love you very much mommy. You are awesome", she said. Completely unprompted too. It doesn't get much better. Maybe I was actually more than an "okay" mom today.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you were a pretty great Mom. I'm just trying to be "a mom" with a new baby. I am kind of bored being home now for three months. During the day, there isn't much he baby does and besides doing laundry, working out and caring for the baby, I don't have anything to do.

    Thanks for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete