You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Birthday parties

The girl does not have a lot of luck with birthday parties. She had to miss the first birthday party she was invited to this year because of a bad cold. Usually a cold wouldn't deter us, but the birthday girl's brother had surgery scheduled for the next week and we didn't want to chance getting him sick.

We are invited to the birthday party of a good friend of the girl's today. No decision yet on whether we will be attending. If you could see her now sitting on the couch eating her breakfast and watching the Backyardigans ("Super Spy", my favorite) you would think she was fine. But she actually threw up last night. Afterwards she was miserable, shivering and hot. As I lay with her in bed she kept calling out "I want to be at home. In my bed". It was so pathetic.

Unfortunately she soon felt better. Which means she felt well enough to be awake and, thank you very much, did not want to sleep. After about three hours of trying to settle her she finally feel asleep.

Not to be out done, her brother had an equally bad night. It was literally a case of getting one to sleep only to have the other wake up. I took the boy at 4 am after finally getting the girl to sleep in order to give the husband a break, but only lasted ten minutes when I had to pass him back. At that point I had had two hours of sleep all night and was close to losing it.

Something is going on with the boy. He was also up on Thursday night. And by "up" I mean awake and showing off his sitting, waving and tongue clicking from 11 pm until 1:30 am. He is either about to get five new teeth or is preparing for some new developmental milestone. I will accept mastering Algebra. Possibly Trigonometry.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that you had such a rough night - but you're not alone! It happens all too often to me that I'm up all night long - from older boy's room to baby's room... all night long! Yesterday my oldest son woke up at 5 a.m. A few days before that, he woke up at 3:30 a.m. and didn't go back to bed. Had breakfast at 4:30 a.m. Anyway - it's tiring, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No fun, poor little ones and poor you!

    So much goes on in their little heads, it's amazing what something new they've learned will do to them...

    ReplyDelete