You can now find Capital Mom at www.capitalmom.ca

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It takes a village

Reinforcements have arrived. Grandma is in town.

I have the best kind of mother-in-law in the word. She arrives in town with a cooler full of food and proceed to wash laundry, run the dishwasher, cook dinner, vacuum the floor, play with the kids and organize our lives. With being sick last week it feels like everything is a bit out of control so her stabilizing presence is much appreciated. It is always appreciated!

I feel like we definitely need more help with two kids than we did with one. With just the girl we seemed to have a handle on things most days. We could trade off childcare and sneak in breaks as needed. The pregnancy definitely made it more difficult with most of the childcare and housework falling to the husband as I succumbed to nausea, vomiting and exhaustion, but we struggled along. With the arrival of the boy I have realized that the key to parenting is taking whatever help is offered to you! Not only can I now accept it, but I am better at asking for it.

When the girl was born we were living far away from all our family. Grandma is a five hour drive away, and while she often made the trip, she wasn't around to call for any last minute help. Since then my sister and her husband have moved here and now we are spoilt by all the help they give us. My sister takes the girl two mornings a week and gives me a much appreciated break. Those visits really got me through the first few months after the boy was born. Unfortunately, they will be moving away by the fall for school and I will miss them so much.

I feel very thankful for this village we have, both family and friends. Sometimes it can be hard to keep in touch with friends because of our and their busy lives, including their own growing families, but it is nice to know they are still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment